Monday, June 16, 2008

sympathy for the [doc]

well....this is kind of old news.

but in a way, it's just taken me this long to be able to talk about it. as you may know, a fire broke out on the set of universal studios, and destroyed a number of buildings and sets. more information can be found here. included in this destruction was "clock tower square" which was used in my favorite flick, and possible best movie of all time, "back to the future."

the news was told to me on sunday by my father, who said

"son....i don't know how to tell you this, so i'm just going to say it...the clock tower at universal studios has been destroyed in a fire."

i was devastated. i went through a range of emotions in the next twenty-four hours. i spent the rest of the day thinking of all the good times i had with the clock tower over the years...the storm, the lightning, the 1.21 gigawatts.....

i didn't want to go to work on monday. however i managed to stir up enough strength to head to the office. As i turned the corner to sit down at my desk, thinking that no one else cared, this card was on my desk.

thanks guys.

ok, so i'm being a tiny bit dramatic, but the card was real, and it got a big laugh at the office monday morning.

if you have a few spare minutes, read the article above, it was fascinating to see what else the set has been used for. clock tower square was used in "to kill a mockingbird", "gremlins" as well as beaver's school in "leave it to beaver". the surrounding new york street set, can also be seen in "war of the worlds", "bruce almighty", "the music man", and it even portrayed kansas city in "city heat".

...and as the article stated, all is planned to be re-built.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Eric! The horror! I'm so sorry to hear of this.
I found this entry touching. I think this is how you know you work in a great office - or at least how you know your coworkers pay attention to you.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!

timseley said...

awesome

Heather Dawn said...

I heard about that, I used to work in a place where my coworkers would have done the same for me! Oh the beauty of a small creative studio...