Friday, December 03, 2010

gone but [now] not forgotten

the demolishing of a building along north broadway exposed a sign on the side of the adjacent building, and i finally made time to go and photograph it today. needless to say i was thrilled when i pulled into the parking lot. walking along side it was like stepping back in time, which if you've followed this blog long enough, know is a favorite theme of mine. what really captured the feeling for me was the vibrancy of the colors. decades of being encased in a brick time capsule seem to have left it in it's original condition. there's something very romantic about this. a tiny piece of marketing history, tucked into a mortar tight corner and forgotten. stores moved in and out, people walked less and drove more, roads were paved, then widened, families moved from downtown to the suburbs, and "mom & pop's" lost out to big box's. then one day, a wall comes down, and we're reminded of the way things use to be, a simpler time, a time when people were asked to "insist on gold medal soda crackers".

9 comments:

jean c. said...

wowza! this is beautiful and so rare. what a magical photo! it makes me imagine the brightness that must have been all over the side walls of buildings... and probably almost as much of a nuisance/eyesore/distraction as we consider billboards to be now. :)

I've never seen an old painted sign so vibrant. do you know if another building is slated to be built there? or will you be able to watch and see how fast the colors fade?

also -- "The North End Racket"?!

thanks for the photo.

Randy said...

Eric I recently photographed this also. I think it's newly painted though. I'm thinking this is the same place where there used to be the old looking Orange Crush ad painted. If I recall the Mona Lisa above had a mustache.

Good photos regardless.

Take care.

ercwttmn said...

jean c - somehow i knew out of all my internet/blog friends you would like this post the most. glad you enjoyed it. not sure about future plans for the site. hopefully it'll be up for a while. also, i've looked into what "the north end racket" means...haven't found anything yet.

randy - thanks for the info. out of curiosity i checked to see where the orange crush sign was on google maps. apparently that sign was painted on the building which was torn down, so it looks like we lost one sign and gained another.

Randy said...

Ahh you're right about the buildings. Didn't think to check Google street view. One thing I do recall about the Orange Crush sign is that "carbonated" was misspelled "caronated". I'm still think these are new paintings. The painting and your writing sure make a convincing story otherwise though.

May have told you before but both my Mother and myself enjoy your writing. Keep it up.

Randy said...

Ok I was looking again at Google. The demolished building that Orange Crush was painted on has "Signs Murals Screen Printing Graphics" painted on the front of it. Hmmmm...

ercwttmn said...

Ha ha...and the mystery goes on!!! now i'm really intrigued. surely there's someone in town that would know one way or the other.

Randy said...

I was talking to a coworker at lunch about this and he informed me he was driving by when they were demolishing the building and he stopped to watch.
He says the sign was there when they removed the cinder blocks from up against that wall. How about that! An eye witness. Still hard for me to accept. Too many clues pointing otherwise I think.
He did confirm the misspelling of the Orange Crush sign and we both recall it had been repainted at one time.

Randy said...

Check this out...
http://www.wichitaphotos.org/searchresults.asp?txtinput=Southwest+Cracker+Company

ercwttmn said...

Randy!

Thanks so much for the info and the link! I'm glad to hear you were able to find someone who could shed a little more light on this. I'll admit, I was having my doubts as well, mainly because the paint was still so bright. The only other evidence I found was the fact there was a business called "the north end racket" located there in 1902.

http://www.skyways.org/genweb/mhgs/1902%20Wichita%20City%20Directory%20Classified%20Business.PDF

page 12